Monday, April 20, 2009

Taking Medication on the Airplane


I am so relieved that spring break is finally over, and the house is momentarily quiet again. I think we all just spent way too much time together. The three little ones were able to push each others buttons in a matter of minutes, and the fighting was brutal. It got so bad in the car a few times, I threatened to take everyone into the local police station, so we could talk to a policeman about car safety. We once made it to the outside of the police station, but I never had the pleasure of dragging everyone in and trying to explain to the local police why I was there. I am not quite sure what their reaction would have been, but I will do it if I ever need to.


Now I have started to get back to what we need to do on our vacation. I can not wait to see what fun we will be on such a long plane flight. I plan on apologizing to everyone around us as soon as we get on, and maybe passing out earplugs to them. If I can not keep three children under control in my car that I can pull over, what in the world am I going to do on an airplane for 12 or so hours.

Anyways, I have been trying to get all of Conor's medicines in order, and realized I need to use half my carry on luggage just to carry it. Here is a list of my booty.

Allegra
Singulair
Benedryl (a wonder drug, good both for allergic reactions, and just in case to help little people sleep)
Pulmacort (for nebulizer)
Xopanex (for nebulizer)
A totally cool sleek little nebulizer
4 epi pens

And just in case you were wondering, here is the information now on what you are allowed to carry on airplanes in the case of medications.


"Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:
All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.
Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.
For more information on these measures, please read our letter outlining this policy --
Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (pdf, 101Kb)"


1 comment:

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

Thanks for posting this information. We will be traveling soon and my son has many of those meds also