Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Wonderful Suprise


We have headed back into our non vacation schedules with full force, and I have been so busy I have not had a chance to do anything except try to get 3 little children to school, from school and around town. I forgot how hard it is to get everyone dressed, fed and out the door by 7:40 am every morning. I am exhausted by 8:00 am.

Because I am not so happy with our present pre-school, and our present pre-school director is kind of well annoying and ignorant, I have decided to transition Conor to that really cool peanut free school he is going to attend for kindergarten next year. I just realized they had a preschool that where he could go 2 or 3 days a week for half days. Woohooo. Since he does not seem so fond of his present school, I thought he would be excited to go to that other school he had a great time visiting a few months ago.

Boy was I wrong. Apparently Conor is very upset that he is not going to the same kindergarten and school as his older brother and sister, and has told me in no uncertain terms that he does not want to go to the school "in the little blue house". I felt so bad that I had to explain to a 4 year old that life is not fair, and unfortunately the school his siblings go to is not safe for him. Of course he does not understand why it is not safe, and why life has to be unfair (then again I do not understand why life is unfair either), and somehow thinks it is in my power to control things. If only I had such powers.....

I dragged a very unwilling little boy to visit the preschool side of the school a few days ago. I tried to explain to the staff why he was mad, and engage him in the activities they were doing. He did loosen up a bit, and it seemed a good fit, but it made for a very stressful morning. I don't know how many times I said "he really is not usually like this - very outgoing and personable", and have them look at me and think "of course lady", and working on prying an angry preschooler from my leg.

I decided to start Conor two days a week, and keep him at his other school two days a week to help the transition. I guess it is better to deal with this now, then when we start kindergarten in the fall. So I took my registration packet and headed home to fill out tons of stupid paperwork.

As I went through the papers later that day, I came upon a wonderful surprise. There was a paper entitled "Consent Agreements ---Peanut Free Zones". Apparently before anyone is able to enter the school they must sign and agree to abide by the schools Peanut and Nut Free Rules. This rules include hand washing when entering the classrooms, and that outside food must be okayed by a staff member. They also provide education on to the parents on life threatening food allergies, and ask the parents to all help educate their children on these allergies.

I want to go over there and hug anyone and everyone who helped put this together. I had always heard that the school was very good regarding peanut allergies, but this is more then I could have ever hoped for. It really does make such a difference when people take the time and energy to be educated and help facilitate our children's disabilities.

Now if only I can pry Conor off my leg next time we go.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am SO glad for you. I wish we had a school like that near us, but there aren't any. Conor's a lucky boy! Change is tough but I am sure he will get over it soon enough, and the old school will become a faint memory. Can't wait to hear how it goes once he fully transitions to the new school.